Friday 15 December 2017

Dave and the Barford 'S' Mini Special

This is what I do it for. Three and a half years ago I wrote for the first time about a 1968/1969 Special, built by one DJ Barford of Peterborough (here), a car which had made it to Hot Car magazine in 1969. I concluded with: "So, DJ, if you ever happen to find these pages do let us know what happened to yourself and your groovy special!"

Now, some months ago Dave Barford did just that after his daughter had found the article. He promised me to send over some of the details if he was able to recollect them, too. Today I received a big manilla enveloppe with a tremendous amount of information. Dave, 22 at the time he built the car, wrote up the whole story in a beautiful hand written letter of 12 pages, illustrated with design drawings from his memory and over 35 separate old photographs with it. He writes: "Trying to find all the pictures from 50 years ago was very difficult, I even had to reprint some from old negatives that I found - the originals have disappeared over the years. I have tried to write a first-hand account of how I built the Special, but please feel free to adjust, modify, rewrite or alter as you feel fit!" Dave, you made my day. I will read your accounts this coming Christmas holidays. Thank you so much.

More to follow.

Left to right, Dave's first wife, his mum and DJ himself in 1969. The gull winged Barford Mini Special in the background
Picture courtesy Dave Barford

1 comment:

  1. David also made fame in Amateur radio. Like a few dedicated operators and builders he transmitted Live TV and sound over long distances. His understanding and ability to build good equipment from scrap, mirrors his achievement with the 1969 Barford Special. We spoke and met on amateur TV many times between 1982 and 2000. He made many friends and is especially missed by Richard G1AUQ and myself G4RNA . He had many friends who he helped with his knowledge technical knowledge of electronics and transmission. But the overriding memories for me is to talk to a good bloke. He was modest and never mentioned his car to me ! I retired to Thailand and so lost contact with David after 2000. Meeting him the first time at the Spa Ballroom Scarborough his Victorian dress was entirely appropriate at the Radio Rally. He wore a striped jacket and straw boater as we both rummaged through old radio gear. Clearly David had a range of unique practical and technical abilities, but he matched this with character, friendship and fun. RIP FB OM 73s & TNX for our memories.
    Peter and our pals ........... FSTV 70cms, 24cms and 3cms

    ReplyDelete